Sunday, July 22, 2012

Living. Dreaming. Teaching.

For me, teaching has never been just a job.  It is a part of who I am.  I feel like God placed me in this position for a reason although I never can seem to figure out why.  I honestly don't know when it happened, but there was a point in my life when I transformed from a normal person into a teacher.  I was one of those kids who knew they were going to be a teacher early on, because I enjoyed school and had some really great teachers.  Maybe that's when it all began...who knows.  I do know that education started to take over my life (and thinking) around the same time I got married and entered my final years of college prior to teaching.  Not long after, on the same day that my husband and I celebrated our second anniversary and about a week after graduation, I got offered my first teaching position.  Coincidence?  I like to think not.  You see, intertwined in this life of mine is my husband.  He's a youth minister, so I think he kind of gets what teaching is like.  Fortunately, he understands that I view teaching as my "ministry" through my example/love for my students, and he listens (or at least pretends to listen) to my school ramblings night after night.  

Anyways, my first teaching position was teaching fourth grade in a rural district near the town we live.  I was blessed with many learning experiences and great friends; unfortunately, the commute to and from school was a bit much for a soon to be growing family.  Switching school districts was sad, but I knew it had to happen eventually.  So...I interviewed for a couple of positions in town, and that's how I came to work in the district I'm in today!*  Now, I have a two year old AND a two month old.  I thought teaching before having my own kids was stressful, but adding in those bundles of joy has made it a tad more challenging.  Nonetheless, being a mommy never ceases to amaze and stretch me beyond what I thought possible especially when balancing it with being a minister's wife, teacher, and everything else.

Well, that pretty much sums up the past eight years of my life.  I look forward to introducing you to more of me (and my family) as I reveal tid-bits about my life, dreams, and teaching from time to time.  Until next time, this is me.
Love ya!
Heidi

*This will be my seventh year of teaching.  I am teaching fifth grade this year, but I have also taught a year of first and five years of fourth.  I'm nervous about moving up a grade but excited to start this new adventure!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! I just found your blog through the Monday Made It linky! Isn't that the greatest?! Anywho, I love your blog and completely agree with you that God places us where we need to be and I thank him daily for making me a teacher! It isn't a job at all, but a gift! I love your blog and am your newest follower!

    Betsey Dixon
    Trendy Tech Tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Monday Made It" linky is amazing! Thank you for your kind words and for following me! I'm headed to check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete