Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pencils, Paper, and Crayons...Oh My!

SOOO...

If you're like me, you look forward to seeing the aisles of school supplies stocked and ready to go even in July!  There's just something about school supplies (and good deals) that gets me excited about a new year of school--no matter how challenging the last year may have been.  This past week I loaded up in my friend's car with a few teacher friends to hit the teacher sale at Mardel and make a pit-stop at IPA Education Supply while we were at it.  When we walked into Mardel, it was like walking into teacher heaven.  Seriosuly.  Teachers were everywhere.  Classroom resources, decorations, and supplies consumed the store.  It was AMAZING...until...I started noticing that the more I looked at stuff, the more I wanted to load up in my cart.  Needless to say, we finally called it quits just before our pocketbooks were completely empty.  At the end of the day, my dear friend kindly and with laughter in her voice blamed me for all of the money she spent.  Guilty?  Probably so, but what can I say?!  I LOVE shopping for teacher stuff!!

One of the projects on my agenda and shopping list for the new year has been my welcome gift for students.  I call it my "Back to School Survival Kit" and hand it out on the first day of school along with a note that explains the purpose behind the items in the kit.  I started this a few years ago, and it's so fun to see how excited the kids get when they see it on their desks the first day of school!

Isn't it cute?!  Here's what you need to make your own survival kit:
Tried and True Tip: If you live in a town with a high transient like mine, you'll probably want to make extras for students who move in during the year.  It's amazing how you can make a new student feel welcome and loved simply by giving them this small welcome package.  It's like you're telling them the minute they walk that the class wasn't complete until they joined it. :-)  I always keep extras of these survival kits and my class handbook ready for students and their parents--it helps to make everyone feel a little more comfortable with the transition.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good Heidi! I'm glad we got to shop together this week! :-) ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! I think a girls school shopping trip would make a fantastic back to school tradition! In other news, I added your blog to my list to follow too! :-)

    ReplyDelete